FRAGMENTS | Walter Franz | Part II
Walter Franz photographed in the Dora Mittelbau labor camp, which was established in August 1943 and was located in the Haaretz Mountains, in central Germany, near the city of Nordhausen. Forced laborers were brought from Buchenwald and were forced to make V-2 missiles in underground factories. During the first phase, there were no Jews among the prisoners who were brought to the camp. The first shipments of Jews were brought to the camp in the summer of 1944 from Auschwitz, most of them Jews from Hungary. Of the 60,000 workers who arrived in Mittelbau, about a third died of exhaustion, poor sanitary conditions and hunger.